Baxter Blog (and Murphy, too!)

A blog about my cats, Baxter and Murphy, or anything else I feel like discussing.

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The 2006 Kitty Awards

It's time to wrap up the year, and what better way than to give my favorite two kitties awards for their accomplishments this year. And so, without further ado, I present:

The First Annual Kitty Awards

Most obedient: Murphy. While Murphy is slowly discovering his rebellious nature, he still responds to "no!" or repeated water bottle sprays (for now), making him the most obedient by default.

Most whiskers: Baxter. Oh Baxter, what lovely whiskers you have. White and long and pretty and not at all singed by a candle, like your brother's.

Most nicknames: Baxter. I have been known to refer to Baxter by the following nicknames: Baxter, the Baxinator, Bax, Sweets, Scrumptious, Cutie, Kitty, Kitty Scrumptious

Best jumper: Murphy. Whether it's getting from one end of the apartment to the other in three swift jumps, or finding the highest possible place to jump onto (therefore making me very nervous), this kitty loves to fly through the air. Sometimes his landings are better than others.

Most destructive: Baxter. See: my couch. Nuff said.

Best eater: Baxter. While he prefers to take his meals alone, after the hubbub of Murphy's Mealtime is over, once Baxter settles in front of the bowl, he really knows how to go for it. Meticulously selecting each piece of food and working his way from one end of the bowl to another, Baxter leaves nothing untouched, often moving on to Murphy's remaining dinner for seconds.

Best sleeper: Murphy. I sometimes envy Murphy's ability to sleep through absolutely anything. He can fall asleep on my lap, be moved onto another part of the couch, I'll get up and come back, Baxter will poke and sniff around, and Murphy remains in peaceful slumber. Murphy has also been known to disappear under the bed for hours, where I can only imagine he's set up his own little sleepy cat village.

Most alert: Baxter. While Baxter would win a prize for the cutest face while sleeping (he gets this little smile that just makes me want to pinch his cheeks), he's never really in a deep sleep. With every little noise his ears perk slightly and his eyes crack open a teeny bit. Even if he's on the opposite side of the apartment from me, he'll sense when I get up or move and will peek at me to see if anything exciting is about to happen. This cat is aware of his surroundings and nothing's getting past him.

Most aloof: Baxter. Baxter likes his space, and he's not afraid to tell you. Whether it's struggling to be put down every time I pick him up, or keeping a comfortable distance from Murphy and I, he generally prefers to gaze from afar. And he's not afraid to stare...sometimes creepily.

Best cuddler: Murphy. Oh Murphy, my little cuddle buddy. You love to snuggle with me when you sleep, or when I'm lying in bed. Now that it's cold out, you like to burrow under the covers with me. You even try to cuddle with your brother, even though he's not into it. You don't give up and are a most-determined snuggler.

Most vocal: Murphy. Before I got Murphy, Baxter was a top meower. Since I got Murphy, Baxter tends to be pretty quiet, while Murphy meows when I come home, meows when I wake up, meows when he's hungry, or just generally looks at me and meows. We often have conversations completely in meows, and I imagine he's telling me all about his day in sleepy cat village.

Most playful: Murphy. This was another category that I was sure Baxter would win, but since Murphy's arrival, Baxter usually prefers to be a wide-eyed observer. Murphy, on the other hand, perks up every time I move the couch (where he knows jingly balls accumulate), or any time I open my top dresser drawer, where he knows toys sometimes live.

Tidiest cat: Baxter. Unlike his brother, who has been known to aim incorrectly into the litter box, vomit, and leave tiny little pieces of dry food all over my kitchen (just eat the whole piece, dammit!) Baxter is a model of organized cleanliness (See: Best eater). While he doesn't overgroom himself, I sometimes feel that his actions are a mild form of kitty-OCD. He's so set in his ways, methodical in his approach, and upset by anything out of place. He won't walk in the kitchen if Murphy's spilled water, lest he get his paws wet, and he'll be the first to alert me to the mess. Baxter, I commend your tidiness. Want to clean my apartment?


And there you have it. A nearly even split with Baxter just edging out the competition. (Though does "Most destructive" really warrant praise?) Bravo to both kitties. Someone's getting tuna tonight....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home