Baxter Blog (and Murphy, too!)

A blog about my cats, Baxter and Murphy, or anything else I feel like discussing.

Monday, October 23, 2006

At least my hair looks fabulous…

There's nothing more traumatic than feeling like you're 13 again. (Ok, I'm sure there are things that are more traumatic, but bear with me.) In the last week, I have hurt my ankle, causing me to limp, gotten some sort of eye infection, meaning I'm glasses-bound for the near future, and realized my hair was so overdue for a haircut that it was one long, curly mess. I feel like I did when I was 13 and in my "awkward" phase, which was painful. (Come to think of it, work is a bit like high school--we have lockers and everything--so really it's as if I'm reliving a part of my life that I never ever intended to.)

So I decided that dammit, I'm not in high school and I can take control of the situation. I started on Saturday, when I went to get a fabulous new haircut. I hadn't had a haircut without wearing my contacts in about 15 years, so I'd forgotten how scary it is to be blind for the whole process, just crossing my fingers that it would all turn out okay. Must be how women on The Swan feel when they have the "Final Reveal" in the mirror (minus the plastic surgery, of course). Anyway, the haircut is, in my opinion, fabulous, and it immediately made me feel better. It even goes with my glasses.

Then this morning was the eye doctor, which is always traumatic for me. Last night, I actually debated writing a blog entry entitled, "A Pirate's life for me," fearing that I'd end up with an eye patch. My limp could be replaced by a peg leg, and instead of a parrot I'd have cats by my side.... But luckily, no eye patch for me. Instead, I got eye drops that made my eyes yellow, numb, and gummy, and the eye doctor turned my eyelids inside out, which actually sounds much scarier than it was. But still, I nearly cried when she told me what she was about to do. So now I have some sort of steroid eye drops that I have to use. Maybe they will give me super eyes, but somehow I doubt it.

So I'm slowly mending myself, and at least I have the confidence of an adult, rather than the insecurities of a teenager.

And fabulous hair, of course. It's always all about the hair.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home