Baxter Blog (and Murphy, too!)

A blog about my cats, Baxter and Murphy, or anything else I feel like discussing.

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I recently got two cats, so I thought it would be a great idea to start a blog all about them. Let me preface this by saying I absolutely love my cats, despite any bitching about them that might go on here. I got Baxter in March and Murphy in May of 2006. I'd never had pets before, even as a child, so everything was new to me. So this is a story of a girl and two cats, living it up in the big city...




Baxter (above) was a spontaneous acquisition. I had wanted a cat on and off since I was a kid, but the last time I'd tried to get one (about 5 years ago), I freaked out at the last minute and wouldn't even pet the cats in the shelter. I figured that's what would happen when I went to the ASPCA one day in March--but I was wrong. That was the day I became a cat person--March 4, 2006.

About two hours after setting off on my journey, I came home with Baxter, a tiger-striped cat about one year old. He seemed calm and polite in the shelter...I figured, he wasn't a kitten, how big a deal could it be? I had no idea what I was in for...

Baxter was a bit shy at first. I let him out in the bathroom (they tell you to keep them in a small room for the first few days so they can acclimate) and he took a few minutes to even come out of the carrier. Then he sniffed around a bit and eventually lay down. After a couple hours of this, I felt bad for the kitty, and decided that a studio apartment was the equivalent of a "small room", so I let Baxter out. He did a couple circles around the room, sniffing at everything. I felt like I was seeing my apartment again for the first time--but through kitty eyes. Everything was new and fascinating. Every nook and cranny might lead somewhere, and had to be investigated. It was a rush.

I then made the mistake of trying to put Baxter back in the small room (aka the bathroom) for the night, but after a couple minutes of vicious meowing, I let him free. There was officially a cat living with me. My life was about to change forever.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home